Hello and welcome!
ASSURE Educational Services has put-together the scheme of work on Metal Work – SS1, SS2 and SS3 based on the National Curriculum and the syllabus of WAEC and NECO. All the topics highlighted in the National Curriculum and the syllabus of WAEC and NECO have been accommodated in our Scheme of Work.
End of term Assessment Tests in SS1, SS2 and SS3 alongside Overall Assessment Tests are available. Schools may adopt our scheme of work because of its simplicity and ease of monitoring of academic activities.
The Scheme of Work stated below is inexhaustible. Schools are encouraged to input weeks and periods of completion of topics in accordance with the academic calendar, number of students and available classes.
SS1 Metal Work – 1st Term Scheme of Work
|SS1||1st Term||General safety in the workshop||1. Potential sources of accidents.
Measures to avoid accidents.
2. Personal safety. Safety clothings: goggles apron, gloves, bootswith hard toe caps, helmet.
|Metals||1. Description of metals: physical and mechanical properties.
2. Types of Metals:
SS1 Metal Work – 2nd Term Scheme of Work
|SS1||2nd Term||Hand Tools and Bench Work||1. Hand tools.
– Hand tools: care and maintenance.
– Measuring tools: linear and angular.
3. Care and maintenance of tools
|Heat treatment of metals||1. Importance of heat treatment of metals.
2. Heat Treatment processes.
3. Materials and Equipment for heat treatment of metals.
4. Tempering colours and temperature ranges.
SS1 Metal Work – 3rd Term Scheme of Work
|SS1||3rd Term||Hand forging||1. Principles of forging
– Definition of forging
– Importance of forging
– Types of forging: cold, hot and drop forging.
2. Forging tools and Equipment.
3. Forging operations
4. Safety precautions.
|Foundry Work||1. Principles of Casting:
– Definition and importance of casting.
– Method of casting: sand casting.
2. Materials and equipment for sand casting.
4. Core making (box, sand).
SS2 Metal Work – 1st Term Scheme of Work
|SS2||1st Term||Metal Joining||1. Types: temporary and permanent.
– Temporary metal joining processes.
– Explanation, identification and uses of common fasteners: Bolts, Nuts, Pins and Screws.
2. Soft Soldering
3. Hard soldering
|Sheet Metalwork||1. Selection of materials,
– Low carbon sheet, galvanised sheet, tin plate, copper,aluminium and brass sheet.
– Standard gauges.
2. Tools and Equipment:
3. Pattern development and cutting .
4. Basic Fabrication processes: Bending, Raising, Hallowing,Sinking, Expanding and Contracting.
5. Joints and joining
6. Safety precautions.
SS2 Metal Work – 2nd Term Scheme of Work
|SS2||2nd Term||Machine Tools and processes||1. Drilling, Drilling machines and reaming
– Description, types of tools and setting up.
– Types of drilling machines: sensitive, pillar and radial.
– Drilling faults & remedies
2. Grinding, Description of grinding operations.
– Types of grinding wheels and setting up of grinding operation.
3. Power sawing:
4. Lathe and lathe turning operations.
5. Shaping Machines
6. Cutting lubricants and coolants (soluble oil, straightcutting oil, soda solution).
7. Care, maintenance and safety precautions.
SS2 Metal Work – 3rd Term Scheme of Work
|SS2||3rd Term||Finishes and decorative processes||1 Types of finishes and decorative processes
– polishing and buffing, spot facing, planishing, colouring, plating, etching, lacquering, pickling and enamelling
|Design||1. Identifying the Problem
– Problem areas: market, classroom, lorry park,workshop.
– Problem definition:benefits to be derived from finding solution(s) to the problem identified.
2. Generating possible solutions
SS3 Metal Work – 1st Scheme of Work (Practicals)
|SS3||1st Term||Practicals||1. Identification:
– file test.
– spark test.
2. Practical exercises involving the uses of handTools.
3. Practical exercises involving care and
4. Heat treatment of hand tools.
5. Use of colour charts.
6. Forging of chisels, centre punch, scriber, door bolts, hinges, hoes, pokers, etc.
7. Mould making and metal pouring.
8. Simple pattern making.
9. Design and make an artifact involving soft soldering.
10. Production of simple articles e.g. cans, funnelsand bowls.
11. Exercises on drilling machine:
12. Grinding of single point tools, e.g.
13. Using the power saws to cut
14. Operation sequence, exercises
15. Application of finishes on projects.
16. Produce a folio and realise the artifact.
SS3 Metal Work – 2nd Scheme of Work (Revision)