Furniture Making – SS1, SS2 & SS3 Curriculum; Scheme of Work; Assessment Tests
Hello and welcome!
ASSURE Educational Services has put-together the scheme of work on Furniture Making – SS1, SS2 and SS3 based on the National Curriculum and the syllabus of WAEC and NECO. All the topics highlighted in the National Curriculum and the syllabus of WAEC and NECO have been accommodated in our Scheme of Work.
End of term Assessment Tests in SS1, SS2 and SS3 alongside Overall Assessment Tests are available. Schools may adopt our scheme of work because of its simplicity and ease of monitoring of academic activities.
The Scheme of Work stated below is inexhaustible. Schools are encouraged to input weeks and periods of completion of topics in accordance with the academic calendar, number of students and available classes.
SS1 Furniture Making – 1st Term Scheme of Work
|SS1||1st Term||Furniture Workshop||– Workshop safety rules and regulations
– Hand tools safety
– Workshop bench and appliances
– Machine tools safety
– Portable power tools safety
– Sources of workshop accident.
SS1 Furniture Making – 2nd Term Scheme of Work
|SS1||2nd Term||Furniture Making Materials||– Timber growth, structure, classification, parts and cross section.
– Conversion of timber, methods, advantages and disadvantages.
– Seasoning of timber, methods, advantages and disadvantages.
– Defects in timbers, causes, classification, illustrations with sketches.
– Preservation of timber, preservatives – characteristics, types and applications.
– Manufactured boards, types, method of production, uses, advantages, disadvantages and sketches.
– Wood adhesive definition applications, preparation, types, uses and characteristics.
– Nails and uses – sketches, methods of driving in nails.
– Screw types and uses, illustration with sketches and methods of driving in screws.
– Cabinet fittings, types, uses, sketches and procedures of fittings.
SS1 Furniture Making – 3rd Term Scheme of Work
|SS1||3rd Term||Woodworking tools and equipment.||– Hand tools – types, classification, uses and sketches.
– Machines – types, uses and operation.
– Portable power tools – types and operations.
– Other tools and equipment used in furniture making.
– Maintenance of furniture tools and equipment.
SS2 Furniture Making – 1st Term Scheme of Work
|SS2||1st Term||Furniture Design and Construction||– Timber preparation – cutting to sizes, marking and planing timber to final sizes.
– Common wood work joints – types, classification and uses.
– Construction – types of construction-frame box construction.
– Free hand sketching of common household furniture items.
– Design fundamentals, elements and principles of design.
– Stages – preliminary sketches and working drawing.
– Planning – working rod, selection of materials, cutting list.
– Construction of different items of furniture, procedures – preparation of materials, setting out of joints, cutting of joints, assembling and finishing.
SS2 Furniture Making – 2nd Term Scheme of Work
|SS2||2nd Term||Upholstery work||– Meaning and forms.
– Tools and machines.
– Traditional and modern padding materials.
– Design and construction of upholstery frames.
– Padding and stuffing.
– Fixing sewn materials.
SS2 Furniture Making – 3rd Term Scheme of Work
|SS2||3rd Term||Entrepreneurship in furniture marking||– Business opportunities in furniture making.
– Starting a furniture business, factors to be considered.
– Managing of furniture workshop, estimate and costing of furniture item.
SS3 Furniture Making – 1st & 2nd Term Scheme of Work – Practicals/Revision