The Lagos State Government has directed all state-owned tertiary institutions to resume on September 14.

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu disclosed this on Saturday.

“This decision is not cast on stone and is subject to review of our ongoing modelling and what procedure comes out from the Ministry of Health,” Sanwo-Olu said.

Read Full Speech
All tertiary institutions in Lagos State are to re-open for academic activities from September 14, 2020. This was the directive by Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu at the 18th state-wide briefing held at the State House in Marina on Saturday.

The Governor also directed the primary and secondary schools across the State to resume on September 21, 2020, but said this date could be subjected to further review in the ongoing modelling of the State’s response to the pandemic.

The re-opening order came six months after all tertiary institutions and basic schools were shut on the order of the Government, following the outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Sanwo-Olu said the decision to re-open the schools was carefully thought through, given the decline in the number of positive cases and the progress recorded in the State’s response. He asked the management of the schools to ensure adherence to the safety guidelines as they re-open their campuses for activities.

The Governor also ordered civil servants in the State’s unified public service to comply with existing guidelines and roster schedules issued by the Head of Service and the heads of MDAs.

He said: “As a Government, we will continue to keep our citizens informed and updated on the decisions that we are taking in response to the pandemic. We will also continue to ask for your understanding and cooperation. These are challenging times for all of us, and it requires extra levels of patience, sacrifice and understanding.”

Sanwo-Olu said the observed decline in the number of positive cases did not mean the pandemic was over. He urged residents to continue to adhere to the safety guidelines outlined by the health authorities.

“The fact that we have been seeing a gradual easing of the lockdown does not mean that we are now returning to our old way of doing things. The easing you are seeing is the outcome of a careful and deliberate attempt to ensure that livelihoods are not crippled by the overwhelmingly disruptive impact of the virus. It is certainly not an invitation to carelessness or nonchalance,” the Governor said.

The Governor disclosed that the State’s Deputy Incident Commander and Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi, had been discharging his duty and responding to treatment, adding that Commissioner remained asymptomatic.

Sanwo-Olu, at the briefing, launched a COVID-19 Care Pack, which contains medications, hand sanitizer, face masks and handy medical equipment that could be used to check temperature.

The Care Pack is to be given to those who have been confirmed positive of the COVID-19 free of charge and who prefer home-based care.

Follow Us On Social Media

0 Comments

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

error: Content is protected !!
%d bloggers like this: