Hello and welcome!
ASSURE Educational Services has put-together the scheme of work for Auto Mechanical Works – SS1, SS2 and SS3 based on the National Curriculum and the syllabus of WAEC and NECO. All the topics highlighted in the National Curriculum and the syllabus of WAEC and NECO have been accommodated in our Scheme of Work.
End of term Assessment Tests in SS1, SS2 and SS3 alongside Overall Assessment Tests are available. Schools may adopt our scheme of work because of its simplicity and ease of monitoring of academic activities.
The Scheme of Work stated below is inexhaustible. Schools are encouraged to input weeks and periods of completion of topics in accordance with the academic calendar, number of students and available classes.
SS1 Auto Mechanical Works (1st Term Scheme of Work)
|SS1||1st Term||Workshop safety and regulations||– Define safety and regulation
– Causes of workshop accidents
– Accident prevention techniques and safety devices e.g. sand bucket, fire extinguishers,etc.
|Tools and equipment||– Types and uses of tools e.g. marking, measuring, holding and cutting tools.
– Types and uses of equipment e.g. hand valve, grinding tool, etc.
– maintenance of tools and equipment.
SS1 Auto Mechanical Works (2nd Term Scheme of Work)
|SS1||2nd Term||Vehicle layout||– Types of motor vehicle chassis
– Principal components, identification and functions
(e.g. engine, transmission system, chassis,etc)
– Chassis maintenance.
|Automobile Engine||– Types of engine design.
– Identification of main component of an engine.
– Line diagram of multi-cylinder engine.
– Types of cylinder liners.
– Two stroke and four stroke cycles.
(spark ignition engine and compression ignition
– Advantages of four stroke cycle over two
stroke cycle engine.
– Engine maintenance and servicing.
|Transmission system||– Transmission system layout.
– Types of drives.
– Components of transmission system e.g
clutch and gear boxe.t.c
– Operation of simple plate clutch.
– Types and operation of gear box.
– Introduction to automatic transmission system.
– Conventional layout of transmission system.
SS1 Auto Mechanical Works (3rd Term Scheme of Work)
|SS1||3rd Term||Suspension system||– Types and functions of suspension systems.
– Fault finding, maintenance and repair of suspension
|Steering system||– Components and functions of steering system.
– Types of steering gearbox.
– Manual steering fault and repairs
– Operation of power assisted steering.
– Steering geometry
SS2 Auto Mechanical Works (1st Term Scheme of Work)
|SS2||1st Term||Engine lubrication system||– Purpose and types of lubrication system.
– Friction and its disadvantages.
– Component part of lubrication system.
– Quality and viscosity of lubricants.
– Oil additive and its importance
|Cooling system||– Function and types of cooling system
– Components of water and air cooling systems.
– Comparison of air and water cooling systems.
SS2 Auto Mechanical Works (2nd Term Scheme of Work)
|SS2||2nd Term||Fuels and combustion||(a) Fuel component system||– Component parts and function of the fuel supply
– Types of carburetors, pumps and their maintenance
– Types and properties of fuel.
– Comparison of mechanical and electrical fuel pumps.
|(b) Manifold and air cleaner||Types, functions and maintenance of:
(ii) Air cleaner
|Braking system||– Concept of friction, operating principles and types of braking systems.
– Faults and maintenance of mechanical and hydraulically operated braking systems.
– Functions, advantages and disadvantages of antilock braking system (A.B.S).
– Layout of braking system.
SS2 Auto Mechanical Works (3rd Term Scheme of Work)
|SS2||3rd Term||Wheels and Tyres||– Types and functions of rims and tyres.
– Stating regulation for tyre inter changing and pressure.
– Road wheels alignment and balancing.
|Workshop management and enterprise||– Basic concept of:
(v) directing- Managing resources
– Concept of authority and responsibilities in enterprising.
– Types of enterprise.
– Advantages and disadvantages of types of enterprise in automobile.
SS3 Auto Mechanical Works – Practical Class and Revision